A well known and often quoted statement on reading says, “Leaders are readers and readers are leaders.” That’s one of the reasons why I have always been an avid reader. I can usually be found with several books books which I am working my way through at the same time. I primarily read for fun, personal growth and to equip me to be a more effective and efficient pastor. On this page, I will share with you the books that I am currently reading and will from time to time share a simple review of a book that I have recently completed. I hope this page encourages you to read more and as a result become a better leader.
Over the past several summers I have made it my practice to read a book per week. I normally vary my reading material between historical biographies, pastoral/leadership development and devotional/theological material. As I wrote above, I love reading and feel that this is one of the best investments into my life and ministry that I can make as a person and pastor. I’m excited about the list of books that I have put together for this summer. Some are silly, others are very serious. Some will stretch me and others will most likely help me pass the time by the pool or on the beach. I hope that this simple list will either give you some interesting titles to consider or encourage you to come up with a summer reading list of your own. Have fun in this sun with a book in your hand this summer.
10. The Duck Commander Family: How Faith, Family, and Ducks Built a Dynasty by Willie Robertson, Korie Robertson and Mark Schlabach (Oct 9, 2012)
9. The Bonfire: The Siege and Burning of Atlanta by Marc Wortman (Jun 1, 2010)
8. The Harbinger: The Ancient Mystery That Holds the Secret of America’s Future by Jonathan Cahn (Jan 3, 2012)
7. What Love is This? Calvinism’s Misrepresentation of God by Dave Hunt (Oct 1, 2004)
6. A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson (May 6, 2003)
5. The Bible on Leadership: From Moses to Matthew — Management Lessons for Contemporary Leaders by Lorin Woolfe (Jun 18, 2002)
4. Daily Rituals: How Artists Work by Mason Currey (Apr 23, 2013)
3. I Am a Church Member: Discovering the Attitude that Makes the Difference by Thom S. Rainer (May 1, 2013)
2. Because the Time is Near: John MacArthur Explains the Book of Revelation by John MacArthur (Mar 1, 2007)
1. The Bible. (I always include my Bible reading in my daily time with God and don’t take the summer of from this most important part of my reading time.)