This coming Sunday is one of the most special days of the year – Mother’s Day. I know that many men fuss and complain, saying that it’s really not a “real holiday,” and blame the greeting card companies for creating a day so that they can sell more cards. However, even if there were not an official day set aside to honor and express our love to the mother’s in our lives there should be a day set aside to do just that.
As the the father of a very young family I want to make sure that my children learn to honor and express their love for their mom. I want them to learn by watching me honor and express my love for my mother, as well as their mother. I want to show them simple ways of expressing their love, appreciation and respect for their mom.
I know that we live in a very materialistic world, and some may think that the only way to show love and appreciation is through some kind of expensive, extravagant gift. But, I think that the best gifts are those that come from the heart to touch the heart. I believe that mom’s appreciate a gift that is intended to make memories more than one that has a lot of “bling.”
So, with that in mind let me share a few suggestions on how to make memories on Mother’s Day – or even better, on any day.
* Make a card for your mom, and write three things that you love or appreciate most about her.
* Hug your mom and tell her how much you love her.
* Make a bookmark and then put it in a book that she’s reading.
* Wake her up with “breakfast in bed.”
* Leave her little “Thank You” notes in unexpected places.
* Write a song or a poem telling her how much she means to you.
* Offer to do things around the house that are no on your “To Do List.”
* Make an arrangement of fresh cut flowers.
* Cut out pictures from magazines and make a collage of things that she likes to do.
* Hug her and tell her you love her.
* Ask her to tell you about some of her favorite memories.
* Fix a plate of chocolate covered strawberries.
* Make her a “Memory Book” of some of the experiences you’ve shared together.
* Bake some cookies and decorate them with expressions of love.
* Pray for her every day.
These are just some simple examples of how to express your love and appreciation for your mom. However, nothing beats telling her each and every day just how much you love her.